MRI Results 7.16.08
Phil and I traveled to UCSF on Tuesday for his MRI on Wednesday. We spent some time Tuesday evening with Erin and her boyfriend Martin. It was great to see her.
Wednesday morning, Phil had his MRI and we saw his neuro-oncologist. The news is a little mixed. There are changes on the MRI, but it is unclear what is causing the changes. The Avastin that he was taking through March 19 has the effect of "cementing" leaky blood vessels, and stopping it causes the blood vessels to become leaky again. So there is evidence of this leaking. Tumors also have a lot of leaky blood vessels, but they generally have a "mass effect," taking up space in the brain and crowding other brain tissue. This does not seem to be happening on the scan, but that alone does not rule out the possibility of tumor progression. I have seen some slight slowing lately in Phil's thinking and moving around. And Dr. Butowski thought this could be the result of blood damaging brain tissue. So he is going back on the Avastin without the chemotherapy agent added. He'll receive two infusions, two weeks apart, and be scanned again on August 15th at UCSF.
This isn't terrible news, but it is always scary. And Phil has been very discourged since hearing that he will need to have more infusions. He'll take some time to absorb this news and readjust his thinking to continue on with treatments. And then he'll carry on once he gets his mind around this. I'm feeling okay about it. That could be denial, but I wouldn't know. ;-) I think I might be getting the hang of not worrying until we have something definite to worry about - at least some of the time, anyway. Phil will work through what this means and go on. He's always done that.
Thanks for your prayers for us. We continue to need them on this journey. Please also pray for Phil's daughters Erin and Elena, and for Phil's sister Elizabeth, brother Pete, and father Norman.
Love,
Elizabeth and Phil
No comments:
Post a Comment