At Journey's End - 11:32 PM, June 13, 2009

Phil passed away at 11:32 PM pacific time last night. He was comfortable. He didn't struggle. He just stopped breathing and was gone. It was a relief, in some ways, to know he was no longer suffering. We stayed with him a while before calling the mortuary. They came and got him at about 4:00 AM. Then I curled up on his bed, still warm, and fell asleep.
I will miss him terribly. I am so grateful to have been a part of his life, to have had the privilege of walking this last stretch of road with him. I hope never to forget the lessons I've learned both from him and from this experience we shared.
Thank you for all of your prayers, love, emails, cards, notes, photographs, anecdotes, thoughts, food, time, support, and other gifts over the past 31 months. With a prognosis of 6-14 months with treatment, Phil beat the odds and managed to find himself again and again, his humor, his ability to enjoy life, after each difficult stage of this journey.
We will have a celebration of Phil's life in Eugene in a few weeks. We will also have some sort of celebration in Pennsylvania where Phil is from. Please check the blog for details as we make the arrangements.
Love,
Elizabeth 6.14.2009
Elizabeth: we believe Phil's soul is forever filled with your love and laughter. We imagine the same can be said for you. Our hearts are with you- and in honor of Phil, so is our love and laughter.
ReplyDelete-Chris &Marejka
Your blog is amazing. It's filled with such joy and helps me remember my cousin the way I always did...smiling. Phil was such a pleasure to be around. Our lives went in different directions, but he remained and will remain a fond memory. God bless you for your good care of him.
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
So sorry to hear of Phil's struggle and journey's end. Thank you for the blog. It's very well done. I'm sorry I did not find it sooner. We were classmates at Dock and EMU, and I always enjoyed his interaction and perspective. We last talked maybe 15 years ago in the Harleysville National
ReplyDeleteBank parking lot. It was nice to catch up with where life had taken us. I'm sorry we never talked again. Thank you for sharing the final chapter of Phil's journey on earth. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this very difficult time.